The whippet chihuahua mix is one of the oldest mixed breeds in the world and it’s also one of the cutest. This type of dog is ideal if there’s not a lot of space at the home, because they are small and compact, while also being very strong. This particular breed has great capabilities for being a family dog, and they are wonderful for small children.
Whippet Chihuahua Mix Facts
|Weight||10 to 20 inches|
|Height||10 to 30 pounds.|
|Color||Varies can come from in different colors|
|Coat length||Long or short|
|Coat texture||Silky and soft to the touch|
|Eyes||Large and separated|
|Ears||Pointed and long|
|Temperament||Stubborn, loyal, gently to owners, wary of strangers|
|Life expectancy||18 to 20 years|
|Kid-friendly||Kids 8 or older|
The Whippet Chihuahua Mix is a Hybrid Dog Breed
Taking good care of your dog involves a lot of research and a lot of effort to make sure that everything you’re doing is for the well-being of your new puppy. Part of that responsibility is to learn as much as possible when it comes to the general information of your dog, and how to properly take care of them, as you welcome them into your home. Even if you’re not planning on adopting or buying a dog any time soon, learning new information about dog breeds and dog breed mixes is important if you are an animal lover.
A mix dog breed is a combination of two breeds that may have a litter with a combination of characteristics of both breeds, and a litter of puppies with specific characteristics from the parent lines. These types of dogs have a lot of benefits for both the owner and the dog itself because they tend to be stronger and more capable of regaining good characteristics from their parents. It is important that you know to know information about them, so you can be prepared on how to properly take care of the dog.
5 Reasons Why you Should Get a Whippet Chihuahua Mix
- They are one of the smallest dog breeds in the world: As the world expands and cities grow, there’s even less space to be in, and apartments get even smaller. It is because of this that smaller dogs have become a priority when it comes to having pets. They enjoy spending time indoors, and delight in spending time with family, which makes them great for living in small apartments. They generally don’t need a lot of exercise, so they’re perfect for a household in which the owner may not have a lot of time to take them out, or for elderly people who cannot move around a lot.
- They don’t need a lot of training: Since they are very small dogs and they don’t tend to have a lot of capability to harm, they don’t have a lot of training needed. However, when it comes to good behavior, they are very responsive to positive reinforcement, and with patience and love, it is very easy to train them. They love praise and leash training doesn’t take a long time.
- Long life, more love: As a general rule, smaller dogs tend to have a longer life span than larger dogs. The Whippet Chihuahua mix is no exception and is one of the mixed breeds with the highest longevity of life. If you take good care of them, they can live up to 18 to 20 years, which in itself is quite impressive. They are very attached to their owners and will love you and appreciate you for their entire lives.
- Unique personality: Both the Chihuahua and the Whippet are breeds with very unique and distinctive personalities, so it is understandable that their mix would have a very interesting way of behaviour. The Whippet is a gentler dog than the Chihuahua, but the latter is a little ball of energy that will keep you entertained, and above all, very loved. Overall, the personality of your dog will depend on many factors, but the Whippet Chihuahua mix is a generally exciting and loving dog.
- Charming and Adorable: Every single dog has a unique charm and they all deserve a loving and welcoming home. However, the Whippet Chihuahua mix is a friendly dog, full of wonderful traits that would make any family extremely happy. This dog hybrid loves to cuddle, and they seek warmth, so they’re perfect for a cold night in and a cute little companion. They also love to spend time with their owner.
5 Reasons Why You Should Not Get a Whippet Chihuahua Mix
- They can be aggressive: the Whippet Chihuahua mix are wonderful dogs that are loyal and loving to their owners. However, if they are not socialized early in their life, or aren’t used to spend time with strangers or other animals, they can be aggressive and try to attack, sometimes trying to bite or scratch whoever they feel might be threatening them. This is a treat that comes from the Chihuahua part of their parenting, and it’s very normal for them. It’s important to remember that this can be changed easily if you get them used to people and other animals from the moment they are small.
- They’re a very individualistic breed: This is a trend that comes from both the Whippet and Chihuahua parent lines, as they’re both breeds that like to be alone in a household. Generally, this can be fixed socializing the dog at an early age, but it’s generally recommended for people who don’t have any other pets. However, they do like to spend time with dogs from their same breed, as they can seek companionship between them, so if you’re interested in getting more than one of them, it would make for an interesting dynamic.
- You have to keep them warm, always: This type of dog tends to run on a lower temperature than normal, so that means they are generally almost always cold. Because of their Chihuahua side, they also tend to shiver a lot, so it’s better to try to keep them as warm as possible. If you live in a part of the world where winters are quite harsh, then it is recommended to buy clothes for them to use in the winter and fall, as they will have a harder time in harsher temperatures. Even if you live in warm weather, it will be necessary to keep them clothed, as they are also sensitive to humidity.
- The Whippet Chihuahua mix is not the best dog when you have small children: They’re a very nervous type of dog and can get scared easily if spooked by children wanting to play with them, and may end up biting or scratching by mistake. They’re also very fragile and could get hurt easily if not monitored correctly, so they’re mostly recommended for families with older children or teenagers.
- Sometimes they are too stubborn: The Whippet Chihuahua mix is a very brave and fearless breed, and while those are good traits, it also means they can be quite stubborn when it comes to training and can mean they will try to fight older and bigger dogs to protect their owner.
Body of the Whippet Chihuahua Mix
- The Whippet Chihuahua mix is a very small-sized dog.
- Even though they’re relatively tiny, they’re also very strong.
- Even though the Whippet is a medium-sized dog and the Chihuahua is a small dog, the hybrid between the two is approximately 10 to 22 inches tall, from paw to shoulder.
- When it comes to weight, they tend to be on the lighter and leaner side, as both parent breeds have a leaner body. However, they can gain a lot of weight if not fed properly and can suffer from overweight and obesity. The average weight is around 10 to 30 pounds.
- When it comes to the appearance of the Whippet Chihuahua Mix, this can vary depending on the genetics of the parent lines.
- These types of dogs tend to have a round head that is usually large, with relatively thin lips.
- The most prominent feature they have is their large, round eyes, which are considerably spaced in their head.
- They have large to medium ears, and a medium-length tail.
- Depending on the original breeds, they can either be long-haired or short-haired. This does not, however, affect their ability to resist the cold.
Temperament of the Whippet Chihuahua Mix
- As mentioned before, this hybrid dog tends to be very nervous and wary.
- They tend to be very good watchdogs because they tend to be very aware of their surroundings and they also tend not to like strangers very much.
- They’re extremely devoted to their owners and can become very attached to them, to the point of trying to protect them from other, often bigger, dogs and other people.
- As their parent line the Chihuahua, they have a very gentle and loving nature when it comes to their owners, but they can also be very fierce, with a slightly volatile temperament and a stubborn nature.
- The Whippet, on the other hand, tends to be a more easygoing breed, which is a trait that has been passed onto this hybrid.
- They’ve also inherited their love for running, even though in general, they don’t need more than 30 minutes to an hour of exercise a day.
- The Whippet Chihuahua mix is a great companion as they love to cuddle for warmth, and they love spending time with their owners. Their playtime needs can often be met with just indoor playing, with toys.
Feeding the Whippet Chihuahua Mix
This hybrid breed, as most hybrids are prone to, is very healthy, which doesn’t usually gain excessive amounts of weight and that doesn’t need a lot of exercises to remain healthy. As it is normal with any breed of dog, they require the right amount of protein, fats, and carbohydrates in their diet. They also need minerals and vitamins to stay healthy, but in general, this type of dog does not require a special or particularly difficult to find diet. The feeding needs of the Whippet Chihuahua mix tend to be complicated as they can sometimes be picky eaters. Sometimes they will require supplementation of wet food along with their dry food.
To understand what food items you can give your Whippet Chihuahua mix, check out Can I Give My Dog?
Grooming the Whippet Chihuahua Mix
All of the Whippet mixes tend to have color and length coats depending entirely on genetics and chance, and the Whipped Chihuahua mix can have coats that can go from chocolate to cream, to gold. They can also come in two different types of hair: smooth and long. When they have long hair, it’s necessary to brush it constantly to take away debris and dirt, usually with a brush with soft bristles, so that it doesn’t hurt their skin, which tends to be very delicate. When it comes to dogs with short hair, it’s only required to brush with a similar type of brush, occasionally. When it comes to their nails, they usually grow considerably fast, so it is important to cut them regularly.
The Whippet Chihuahua Mix also tends to produce excessive ear wax that can cause issues with the dog if not cleaned regularly. Their ears can be cleaned with soft baby wipes, with gentle motions, making sure not to hurt them with harsh movements.
Health Risks of the Whippet Chihuahua Mix
- Hybrids dogs, in general, tend to be healthier than their parental lineage.
- In the case of the Whippet Chihuahua Mix, they have a long life, which can be from 16 to 20 years, depending on the care the owner has with their dog.
- Despite that, all dogs can develop a genetic health complication, if not taken care of properly. This can also depend on their genetic, so it is very important to ask for a health certificate from the breeder.
- In the case of this hybrid, they are prone to develop eye diseases, which usually develop with age. They are affected by a condition called patellar luxation, which can happen at any age and it comes from their Chihuahua parent line.
- This type of dog tends to suffer from heart conditions like arrhythmia, patent ductus arteriosus, and mitral valve disease.
- The Whippet Chihuahua mix can also present issues with idiopathic epilepsy, though this issue if present, can be easily fixed with medication and therapy.
- Have a look at our Dog Health section to understand some more in depth factors to your dogs health
How to Buy a Whippet Chihuahua Mix?
The breeder doesn’t usually tend to release their price information online, and they usually can change depending on your location, the price ranges are between $200 to $300. It’s important to remember that the commitment of bringing a dog home, regardless of the breed, is very big. You have to be aware of the complications that getting this type of dog might entail, and that finding a responsible breeder is essential. A responsible breed will also provide you with the genetic information of your dog and will give you all the important data regarding the parent lines of which your dog comes from. You also have to make sure that their practices include welfare and wellbeing practices, and that they make sure that their dogs are in the best condition possible.
Whippet and Chihuahua Facts
Whippet Characteristics: This breed of dog is built for speed, like the greyhound. The Whippet has long and slender legs, and a very deep chest, with a narrow body and abdomen that’s relatively tucked up. They have a long tail that they usually carry low. This type of dog tends to be very muscular, even though they don’t need much exercise in general. The size of the whippet is medium, and they can stand between 19 to 21 inches from shoulder to paw. Their weight can be 20 to 40 pounds. Their coat is short and silky to the touch, and they hate cold weather, which makes them very prone to cuddling. They come in a multitude of colors. They’re very gentle dogs, that love chasing things and to snuggle with their owners.
Chihuahua Characteristics: They’re very little dogs, that don’t tend to be too big or to weigh too much. They can be from 2 to 6 pounds and can stand up from 5 to 7 inches, from shoulder to paw. They have a large head and pricked ears that are both short and pointed. They also have a pointed muzzle, and round eyes, that are large and separated. This type of dog is longer than they are taller, and they have a long, and pointed tail. They have two coat varieties: short and smooth and long and soft. The short coat is generally the most common one. Their coat can come in almost every color, and their patter depends on their genetics. The Chihuahua are wonderful companion dogs, as they are very loyal and active. They like to keep occupied, even if most of their activities can be done indoors. They tend to bark a lot and to be temperamental. Because of their coat, they’re also not very resistant to cold weather, and they shake a lot.