The Corgi Poodle mix, known as the “corgipoo” or the “corgidoodle”, is a breed that has been very well-liked by experts and dog lovers because of their size, appearance, and great personality. They’re very affectionate and intelligent dogs, that will love to spend time with their family and love being the center of attention. They’re outgoing and sweet and they’re excellent family companions.
Corgi Poodle Mix Facts
|Weight||12 to 40 pounds|
|Height||10 to 20 inches|
|Size||Varies, small to medium|
|Coat||Soft, fluffy, dense, and curly|
|Colour||Varies, they can come in like black, white, gray, cream or red|
|Coat length||Varies, it can be medium or short|
|Coat texture||Dense and it can be waterproof|
|Eyes||Brown or black|
|Ears||Floppy or straight|
|Temperament||Sweet, energetic, hyperactive, friendly, joyful|
|Life expectancy||12 to 14 years|
|Hypoallergenic||It varies, yes if they take after their Corgi parent|
The Corgi Poodle Mix is a Hybrid Dog Breed
Learning the advantages of hybrid breeds is essential if you’re thinking about buying or adopting a dog to welcome into your home. A very important topic that has risen in importance for experts is the possible existence of hybrid vigor in mixed dogs. This trait is very important but it means that dogs can inherit the stronger characteristics from their parental lines and lower the chances of obtaining the diseases that affect one or both of the purebreds that form the mix. While this theory hasn’t been widely studied in companion dogs, it is believed to be the future is breeding.
5 Reasons Why you Should Get a Corgi Poodle Mix
- Outgoing personality: This is a trait inherited from both of their parental lines. The Corgi Poodle mix is an extremely happy and friendly dog breed and they will love to play around with people, regardless of whether they know them or not. They’re very approachable and charming so socializing them is very easy. Similar to other hybrid breeds (note) they need early socializing to get used to new people, but overall their process is far easier and faster than other breeds.
- They’re great with children and other pets: Since the Corgi Poodle mix is a very social breed, they get along with almost everyone. They’re great pets for families that have smaller children or other pets because they get adapted very easily to new environments. They’re also very affectionate and playful and they love spending time with their family.
- Perfect for apartment living: The size of the Corgi Poodle mix is one of the best things that this hybrid has. Both of their parental lines are small to medium in size, which means that they don’t grow too much either. Even though they’re an energetic breed, they don’t require too much space to be able to live comfortably.
- They’re wonderful companions: The affectionate nature of the Corgi Poodle mix makes them brilliant for people or families who are seeking the perfect companion dog. Not only are they very sweet, caring, and intelligent, but they’re also extremely keen on pleasing their family which means that they’re great listeners who will try their best to keep their loved ones satisfied with their behavior.
- Perfect for active families: Even though they’re smaller in size, this hybrid breed works best for people who have a high energy life. They love spending time outside and going on walks but mostly they just really love playtime. Since they’re also very friendly dogs, they’ll get along best with families with children who are willing to play with them and engage in different kinds of stimulating activities like hikes, fetch, and finding things. They’re also great with other pets around the house since they enjoy having company to spend time with and play around with.
5 Reasons Why You Should Not Get a Corgi Poodle Mix
- They get bored easily: The Corgi Poodle mix, unlike other smaller hybrid breeds (note) tends to be of higher energy. This means that they’ll always want something to do otherwise they’ll start developing coping mechanisms to keep themselves busy which, unfortunately, will most likely end up in them destroying things around the house. While this is relatively easy to fix the issue, you must make sure that their exercise routines are correct for them in two aspects: First, that they spend enough energy that they don’t have a chance to become bored and second, that their exercises are always according to their body time and weight.
- Can become destructive: This relates to two particular situations that might affect your Corgi Poodle mix dog. On the one hand, as mentioned before, they might get destructive if they’re too bored and haven’t spent enough energy. On the other hand, they tend to be too attached to their owners and might not do very well on their own which can cause them to wreak havoc around the house as well. Both are equally dangerous if not addressed properly and must be fixed before they get too extensive.
- They are sometimes hyperactive: Their high energy and lively personality make them very hyper dogs even if they’re not longer puppies. This means that they will need early training to make sure that they are respectful of boundaries set by owners and other people, as they can sometimes too excited to listen to commands or they might want to jump at people at inappropriate times. Even though they’re extremely smart and will understand their training very easily, one of the biggest focus that you should have is to make them lower their excitability if the occasion calls for it.
- More training: As mentioned before, the Corgi Poodle mix is a very intelligent and clever breed. They understand everything they have to do and will listen to their owners very well if they’re trained early. However, they can also be very stubborn when it comes to their training and they might need a firmer hand than other breeds. They’ll require a bigger focus too since they tend to be easily distracted in the moments where they’re supposed to be learning. In the case of this mix, it’s more important to train them smarter as well as harder.
- Mischievous behavior: The personality of the Corgi Poodle mix is one of the sweetest things they have. However, it also means that they might get into trouble sometimes. Even though they’re obedient once they’ve been trained, this breed can like to play in situations that they maybe shouldn’t or they might even like to hide themselves or their toys from their family. While this isn’t necessarily a bad trait per se, but it can cause some considerable issues if they’re not controlled properly.
Body of the Corgi Poodle Mix
- The appearance of the Corgi Poodle mix as it happens with other hybrid breeds can vary greatly depending on the specific litter or the genetics of the parental lines. This breed can take their looks from either of the parental lines or be a mix of the two.
- They are usually small to medium in size and they’re usually between 10 to 20 inches in height.
- Their weight can be a little bit more varied, going from 12 to 40 pounds.
- Their coat is usually a nice blend of both breeds going between curly like the Poodle or straight like the Corgi. Depending on whether or not they favor their Corgi parent, it will determine if they have a single or a double-layered coat, which would make them hypoallergenic. Their coat is also soft, fluffy, and dense and it can sometimes also be waterproof.
- They come in an array of colors like black, white, gray, cream, or red.
- Their body shape can be somewhat of a mystery. While they usually have longer legs than their Poodle parent, they usually have legs nearing the size of their Corgi parents. Their torsos are usually long, which makes them look “stocky” build.
- They have medium-sized muzzles and their ears can either be floppy or straight.
Temperament of the Corgi Poodle Mix
It can be a little tricky to define what the personality of your dog is going to be. Some studies have demonstrated that proper training and accurate socialization makes the difference between a well-adjusted and well-behaved dog, and one without enough correct behaviors to be considered a good pet. However, some personality traits come directly from their parental breeds, which can give the future owners a sense of the type of dog that the hybrid is going to be.
The Corgi Poodle mix is no exception to this rule. Thanks to their parental lines, it’s possible to define some of the personality traits that they might inherit. Both the Corgi and the Poodle are extremely clever and intelligent breeds. This crossbreed will be very easy to train and they will understand commands very well, as long as they learn them at an early age. They’re also very active dogs and they will need appropriate amounts of exercise every day. They love spending time outside and they’re the best at being the center of attention.
They can also be highly hyperactive and somewhat mischievous. They like getting into trouble sometimes so making sure that they’re well behaved is essential. This hybrid is also very friendly and will get along with new people and other pets.
Feeding the Corgi Poodle Mix
The nutritional needs of the Corgi Poodle mix, as it happens with other hybrid breeds, can vary depending on a multitude of circumstances. They require one cup of food per day, which can be upped to one cup and a half if your dog does considerable exercise during the day. Since one of the characteristics that both parent breeds share is that they tend to overeat, you must be sure not to leave food out for them to consume without supervision. The Corgis and the Poodles are both prone to obesity, so it’s even more important to have a good feeding schedule for your puppy.
A bit of good advice for feeding your Corgi Poodle mix is to have set times for meals, so they’ll get used to a specific schedule. Remember that before implementing any feeding programs for your dog you must first consult your veterinary professional.
To understand what food items you can give your Corgi Poodle mix, check out Can I Give My Dog?
Grooming the Corgi Poodle Mix
The grooming of the Corgi Poodle mix is one of the biggest advantages that this hybrid has. Since their coat will be either moderate shedding (if closer to their Corgi parent) or non-shedder (if closer to their Poodle parent), their grooming requirements are considerably low. They don’t need as much brushing as other breeds and they only need baths if their coat has gotten too dirty. Otherwise, it’s recommended that their bathing schedule goes every one or two months. When it comes to nails and ear grooming, they have similar requirements to other similar breeds (note). Their nails don’t need to be clipped unless they’re so overgrown that they click against the floor, but they’re active dogs their nails usually file themselves down with activity. Their ears should be cleaned regularly, usually every 1 or 2 weeks, to any possible ear infections.
Health Risks of the Corgi Poodle Mix
- One of the greatest advantages that all hybrid breeds have is that they can have a lower tendency to present diseases than purebred breeds. However, they might have a chance to inherit some of the genetic diseases that affect their parental lineages.
- The Corgi lineage is known to be high risk to hip dysplasia and spinal issues, as a direct consequence of their short legs.
- One of the biggest issues that they might have is Degenerative Myelopathy. This disease affects them because of their short limbs and will affect their quality of life considerably. They might develop some issues in their limbs as well.
- Their Poodle side can be affected by eye issues (cataracts in older age is very common) and kidney diseases.
- Both of which are diseases that can be avoided and treated if they’re found early.
- Both of the parental lines of the Corgi Poodle mix are prone to be overweight and their health could be seriously affected by obesity.
- Have a look at our Dog Health section to understand some more in depth factors to your dogs health
How to Buy a Corgi Poodle Mix
Like with other hybrid breeds, the Corgi Poodle mix can have varying prices depending on the breeder and the location you’re in. The normal range in price for this hybrid goes between $750 and $850. Regardless of where you buy this breed, however, there are some things you have to consider before you make this important decision. First, you have to find a reputable breeder and make sure that they have all of the appropriate credentials required to do that profession. It’s important to ask for a health screening before you buy any breed of dogs and to ask for the appropriate paperwork that demonstrates this. A good breeder will make sure that you have all the information required and they will help guide you towards the best option possible.
Corgi Poodle Mix Facts
The Corgi is a breed that is usually known because of their personality and their adorable looks. They are great with other pets and children, as long as they have been familiarized with them from an early age. Their size usually goes from 10 to 12 inches tall, and their weight can be from 22 to 28 pounds, which makes them great family dogs. They are animated and lively that love to be outside and they are very playful. Their herding nature makes them very intelligent and quick, and their small size is used effectively to be able to gain considerable speed. They have a high need for exercise and can be stubborn at times, so early training and socialization is essential to stop the development of any negative behaviors that they might present. They tend to be anxious dogs if they don’t make enough exercise or if they’re not stimulated enough, so a minimal energy-burning workout is necessary for them. Corgis have a short coat, and the colors can range from red to black to sable, usually with white markings on the legs or stomach.
The Poodle is known for its intelligence and sweet personality. They’re lively and very active dogs, and they’re great family friends as they love spending time with people. They’re very easily trained and their socialization process is very easy. This breed of dog can develop some bad behaviors if they feel alone or if they don’t get enough stimulation from their humans. Physically, Poodles come in three sizes: Standard (taller than 15 inches and 50 to 70 pounds in weight), the miniature (around 10 inches in height and 12 to 20 pounds in weight), and the toy (less than 10 inches in height and around 7 pounds in weight). All varieties of the Poodle have a long appearance with a long muzzle and long, dropped ears. Their coat tends to be curly and dense. They can come in several colors like black, white, tan, reds and a mix of all of them.