An excellent example of how great mixed breeds can be is the Beagle Poodle mix. This hybrid breed represents the best of what these “designer breeds” can be. They’re friendly and charming, with a personality that has been made for family living. Not only are they physically adorable, they’re extremely active and energetic and so are very easily adaptable to smaller spaces.
Beagle Poodle Mix Facts
|Weight||20 to 30 pounds|
|Height||10 to 15 inches|
|Size||Small to medium|
|Colour||It varies, going from black, cream, red, brown, white and combinations|
|Coat length||Short to medium|
|Coat texture||Dense, it can be curly or straight|
|Eyes||Round and dark|
|Temperament||Sweet, intelligent, friendly, social, affectionate, stubborn|
|Life expectancy||10 to 13 years|
|Hypoallergenic||They can be if their coat is like the Poodle’s|
The Beagle Poodle Mix is a Hybrid Dog Breed
Hybrid dogs are very interesting for everyone who loves dogs. Not only are they adorable and often very sweet, but they have inherent advantages that a lot of pure breeds don’t. For example, recent studies have found that purebred dogs are more likely to present genetic disorders than mixed dogs, mostly as a result of inbreeding and excessive selection to create “the ideal dog” for such a breed. According to investigations, purebred are 2.8x more likely to develop diseases that have been passed on generationally.
5 Reasons Why you Should Get a Beagle Poodle Mix
- Adaptable to apartment living: The Beagle Poodle mix is a small to medium-sized dog. Since they don’t grow much, they adapt rather easily to smaller spaces like apartments or smaller houses. Even though they’re very energetic and love spending time outside, they don’t have issues learning to entertain themselves inside. They’ll be just as happy playing with toys in the house or the apartment as they will playing outside in the park.
- Very playful: Most people when looking for a dog breed that suits their needs usually look for dogs that relate to their way of life. One of the characteristics that most would agree is great for anyone is playfulness. The Beagle Poodle is known for how well they relate to children because they love to play around with them. Even if a family doesn’t have kids around, this breed will enjoy welcoming people and trying to get them to play with them. This personality trait is lovely because it guarantees that your dog will almost always be in a good, charming mood.
- Excited and joyful: This trait related directly to what was mentioned above. Not only are they extremely playful animals but the Beagle Poodle mix, unlike most other hybrid breeds (note), has an almost always agreeable personality. Most hybrid breeds tend to inherit some negative personality traits that might lead them to become slightly aggressive or moody but this hybrid has a wonderful mix of the personality of two very charming and wonderful purebreds. They’ll almost always be happy, excited to play, sweet, and wonderful to have around.
- Possibly hypoallergenic: This is a very interesting trait because it related directly to their hybrid status. Since the Beagle Poodle mix is a mix of one breed that has a fully hypoallergenic coat (the Poodle), it can mean that they might completely or slightly inherit this characteristic. Some dogs might have the great opportunity to develop a full hypoallergenic coat or they might have a semi-hypoallergenic coat, which means that their coat will have a lower likelihood to make people develop allergies. Whether it’s one or the other, this characteristic is great for people who are looking for dogs that might have complementing traits, while not developing any possible pathologies related to shedding.
- Perfect family dog: The Beagle Poodle mix is considered a great family dog for a myriad of reasons. First, not only are they playful and charming, but their intelligence makes them great for people who are not very used to training their dogs. Not only that, but their personality, in general, makes them great for people who are looking for a companion for the rest of their life. They’re also great for active people who are looking for a dog to accompany them to the outdoors and for people who might have to entertain their pet at home. Overall, their adaptability makes them wonderful for several types of families.
5 Reasons Why You Should Not Get a Beagle Poodle Mix
- They require high amounts of attention: Unfortunately, their high energetic personality has a downside. Not only do they need to always be stimulated and to have high amounts of exercise, but even in times when they don’t want to play, they might want to be around their family. This by itself isn’t a bad trait, but the Beagle Poodle mix might take it a little bit too far. They might become too needy for attention and want to be involved even in moments when they probably shouldn’t. Not only that but if they ever find themselves bored, they might turn destructive (though never aggressive).
- Might have sassy moments: This hybrid breed has a lot of personality, so it’s no surprise that they might have a little bit of too much fun. This might be presented in some mischievous actions like hiding some things from their owners or barking playfully. While this isn’t an inherently bad situation, it needs to be treated with caution. If the dog perceives that these behaviors might bring them more attention from their owners, they might try to do them more often or more destructively, which could cause bigger troubles.
- They don’t like to be alone: The Beagle Poodle mix, like a lot of hybrid breeds (note), doesn’t like not having company for long periods of time. It tends to be because they’re too attached to their owners and because they need to be constantly stimulated. It’s important to remember that they are not ideal for families who cannot spend a lot of time with them and that they can become destructive if they get even the slightest of separation anxiety.
- Quite stubborn: The Beagle Poodle mix can sadly inherit one of the principal characteristics of the Beagle: their tendency not to listen. Even though the sweet nature of the Poodle contradicts a little of this trait, this hybrid can sometimes be too stubborn to obey orders and to knowledge, their owner is speaking, even if they understand the command. Since they’re quite clever, it’s important to have a strong hand with them when it comes to their training, to lower the chances of them retaining wrongful behaviors.
- Intense personality: This breed is highly energetic. And this, unfortunately, can mean that they can sometimes be quite a handful, especially if they’re not properly trained at an early age. Since they can be quite difficult to manage at times, particularly when they get too overly excited, this breed might not be ideal for first-time pet owners as they might have too hard of a time getting this mix to listen to them. They also might become stressed and easily bored, and end up having destructive behaviors like biting into furniture or clothes.
Body of the Beagle Poodle Mix
- Similar to what happens to other hybrid breeds, figuring out what the outcome of the Beagle Poodle mix can be tricky. Since they can inherit any sort of characteristic from either of their parental breeds, one big advantage that a lot of people see when it comes to them is that you’ll always obtain a somewhat unique looking dog. Even if they have inherited a particular trait that can only be attributed to one breed or the other, hybrids tend to be special when it comes to their looks.
- The Beagle Poodle mix has become popular because of its adorable looks. Not only do they look like a tiny bear, but their size makes them ideal for apartment living.
- With a height of 10 to 15 inches tall and a weight of 20 to 30 pounds, this breed can come in small to medium sizes. Their built is quite athletic and it relates directly to their high exercise needs.
- Their eyes are usually large, round, and dark, while their ears are usually a halfway point between the Beagle’s and the Poodle’s, generally leaning towards floppy.
- The coat of this hybrid is one of the most appealing things they have since they can inherit their Poodle line hypoallergenic coat. While this isn’t the case for all Beagle Poodle mix, most of them will at least have a certain amount of this quality to them. This makes them great for people who don’t want to commit to a fully hypoallergenic breed but that might want to lower the chances of any respiratory disease caused by shedding.
- The texture of their coat can go from curly to straight and is usually very dense, while the colors they have can vary greatly, going from black, cream, red, brown, and white with possible combinations between all of them.
Temperament of the Beagle Poodle Mix
The personality of the Beagle Poodle mix is an interesting one. Not only are they great family pets but they can also be quite good at protecting the family if required. This hybrid breed has a deep connection to their owners. This mix relates to the people they love completely and they do everything they can to make them happy, which means that they are very friendly and sweet. Even though they need early socialization, this breed is great for children and other pets because they don’t tend to be aggressive at all and because even though one of their parental lines (the Beagle) is a hunting breed, they don’t usually chase around smaller pets.
Like most Beagle hybrids, they are also highly energetic and they love spending time outside. However, thanks to their size they don’t require to be out to be able to get entertained. They are very easily adaptable to inside games, as long as they get to spend enough time with their owners. This breed has a high chance of developing separation anxiety because they get too used to being around people, so the ideal owners must spend considerable amounts of time with them.
Feeding the Beagle Poodle Mix
Learning the best food to give your dog can sometimes be difficult. In the case of hybrid breeds, the recommended amount of food depends mostly on the size and development stage in which they’re in. For the Beagle Poodle mix, it’s ideal that they don’t consume more than 1 cup of food a day, since they tend to be obese easily. It’s also recommended that their food is spread out in 3 meals during the day as they might have an issue of overeating inherited by their Beagle parent. It would be better if this hybrid would also be supplemented with vitamins and essential oils to make sure that they have healthy hair and bones.
To understand what food items you can give your Beagle Poodle mix, check out Can I Give My Dog?
Grooming the Beagle Poodle Mix
The grooming needs of the Beagle Poodle mix depend directly on the type of coat they inherit. If they have hair closer to their Poodle parent, then it’s likely that they might need brushing a few times a week to make sure that they don’t have increasing amounts of tangles. However, if they have this type of coat, it also means that they will shed considerably less and that they will most likely be hypoallergenic. If they have a coat closer to their Beagle parent, then they will require less brushing, but they will most likely shed more. Their bath schedules tend to be the same regardless of what type of coat they have, not needing more than one bath every 6 to 8 weeks. The skin of this breed is very sensitive so it’s recommended that only neutral soaps and shampoos are used on them.
When it comes to the grooming of their nails, ears, and teeth, they don’t require anything more than most breeds. They only require their nails to be trimmed occasionally if they get too long, and their ears and teeth should be cleaned often, at least once a week.
Health Risks of the Beagle Poodle Mix
- Health issues must always be considered before adopting or purchasing any dog breed. But when it comes to hybrids, knowing what possible diseases your dog might have becomes essential since they could inherit conditions from both of their parental lines.
- In the case of the Beagle Poodle mix, they can inherit two principal kinds of health complications: limbs and eyes.
- On the first one, generally inherited from their Beagle parentage, they could be affected by hip dysplasia and patellar luxation. Both affections can seriously affect the quality of life of your dog, so they must be prevented at all costs.
- From their Poodle side, they have the chance to develop eye complications, mostly at a later age.
- Despite that, this hybrid is actually a relatively healthy breed, which makes them very popular and sought after.
- Have a look at our Dog Health section to understand some more in depth factors to your dogs health
How to Buy a Beagle Poodle Mix
Buying any kind of dog requires high amounts of research. Making sure that you purchase your dog from a good breeder is an important step that must be taken cautiously. Always ask for the appropriate paperwork and be aware of the health conditions of the parents as well as the puppies. The price range for the Beagle Poodle mix goes from $700 and higher, and if you find a breeder that charges less than that price, you might want to ask to see their credentials because they might not have a reputable business. Remember that the price range of every puppy and litter will change depending on the genetics of the parents, the location, and the certifications your dog has.
Beagle Poodle Mix Facts
The Poodle is a very intelligent and sweet dog. They’re very active dogs, and great family pets because they love spending time with people. Because they are easily trained and their socialization process is very easy, this breed is excellent for active families. Physically, Poodles come in three sizes: Standard (taller than 15 inches and 50 to 70 pounds in weight), the miniature (around 10 inches in height and 12 to 20 pounds in weight), and the toy (less than 10 inches in height and around 7 pounds in weight). All varieties of the Poodle have a long appearance with a long muzzle and long, dropped ears. Their coat tends to be curly and dense. They can come in several colors like black, white, tan, reds and a mix of all of them.
This medium-size breed has a height range of 13 to 15 inches and a weight of 18 to 20 pounds. They’re an adorable breed that usually has a muscular build. Their muzzle is on the square side and they usually have a large, brown nose. The Beagles have a coat that can come in a variety of colors, from black, tan, and white and they’re usually tri-colored. The texture of their coat is usually smooth and dense. This breed is an excellent family dog, as they’re great with kids and other pets. They’re cheerful, affectionate, active, and curious and they love having an active lifestyle. They don’t like to be alone and their separation anxiety usually presents itself with a destructive nature.